1. Hold Alt to switch Burn tool to Dodge tool, and vice versa.
2. Press Tab will hide tool bar and palette, Shift+Tab will hide only palette.
3. Sick of the default gray background around your image? Select paint bucket, hold shift and click on the gray background orright click and select custom color, it will change to whatever color you have in your foreground color box.
4. In Photoshop, all “Cancel” buttons in a window can be changed to a “Reset” button by holding Alt.
5. Caps lock will switch your cursor for accuracy.
6. Press F button, it will switch between 3 different screen modes and give you more working area.
7. To draw a straight line, click then move to the end point and hold shift + click.
8. Hold Ctrl will temporary make any tool into move tool until you release Ctrl.
9. Ctrl + Alt and click drag the image, it will make a duplication of the current image over lay on top.
10. Hold Space bar, it will make any tool into “Hand Tool” until you release Space bar.
11. When Using eyedropper tool to capture foreground color, hold Alt and click, it will instantly capture the color for background.
12. Ctrl+space = zoom in, alt+space = zoom out.
13. Ctrl+Alt+Z and Ctrl+Shift+Z will go back and forth in the history.
14. Move a mask from one layer to another by clicking and dragging the mask thumbnail in the Layers palette.
15. Double clicking on the Hand tool is the same as selecting View > Fit on Screen.
16. The eyedropper can now sample colors from outside of Photoshop. Make the color visible (on the desktop, in another application etc.). Then click with the eyedropper on the image and then drag to sample the desired color.
17. To save on file size and increase speed and flexibility, instead of duplicating a layer, try using the Spot Healing Brush and Healing Brush tool on blank layers (simply check “Sample All Layers” in the Options bar).
18. You can use the Healing Brush and Patch tool between two open documents. Simply Alt -click in the source document and then clone in the destination document.
19. Using the Healing brush with the blending mode set to Replace makes it behave more like the Clone Stamp tool (in that it doesn’t automatically try to blend the source and destination), and blends noise more effectively while cloning.
20. Hold Shift and press “+” or “-” it will switch between the layer mode
Soft Light,Hard Light,ColorDodge,ColorBurn,
21. Alt+Backspace and Ctrl+Backspace will fill in the whole screen with foreground color or background color, Shift+backspace will bring up option window, Alt+Shift+Backspace and Ctrl+Shift+Backspace, will fill the image with foreground or background color but will leave the alpha transparent area alone.
22. While using Brush or any other tools, you can change the opacity of layer by typing the number.*type one number for % of it’s ten times [4=40%]*type two number for exact % [press 7 then 2 will get 72%]
23. Hold Alt while clicking on the eye icon beside the layer, it will hide all other layers.
24. Hold Alt and click the button “Create a new layer”, it will create a new adjustment layer.
25. Holding down the Shift key with the Path Selection tool adds additional paths to the selection or deletes them from the selection if they are already selected.
26. Ctrl+click a layer thumbnail to select the layer transparency.
27. To see what your layer mask looks like (and edit it), Alt+click its thumbnail in the layers palette.
28. Ctrl + D to deselect, Ctrl+Shift+D to reselect what you deselected.
29. While using Marquee Tools, hold Alt it will make the starting point as a center of the selection.
30. While selecting with Marquee tool, pressing the space bar can allow you to move the selection.
31. Hold Alt and click on any of the history steps, that step will be copied and become the most recent one.
32. The crop tool will default to the same values that you set in your Preferences > Units & Rulers. However, you can type in any unit of measurement in the width, height or resolution (mm, cm, in, px etc.).
33. Dodge, Burn, & Sponge Tools work much better if you set them to a low opacity (like 3%) and then make multiple strokes to build up the effect.
34. Alt drag a step from a serial action can copy it to another action.
35. To smudge with the foreground color instead of the colors in the image, hold the Alt key.
36. Pressing X will switch the selected foreground and background colors.
37. Pressing D will reset the foreground and backgrounds colors to black and white.
38. When using the Polygonal Lasso Tool, click backspace to undo a lasso step.
39. When using Polygon lasso tool hold Shift to make a perfect line.
40. Ctrl+Shift+N creates a new layer with a dialog box; Ctrl+Shift+Alt+N gets you a new layer without the hassle.
41. Pan documents with the space bar.
42. When free transforming with Ctrl+T, hold Alt to keep the original image and then to transform a duplicated layer of it. Ctrl+Shift+T to repeat whatever you did in the last transform.
43. If you accidently select the slice tool and the icon for slices appears in your image (the slice number and type), you can hide it by choosingView > Show > Slices (this toggles off the check next to Slices).
44. After, draw a path on the image with pen tool, Ctrl+shift+H can hide/show it.
45. File› Automate › Contact Sheet II : this can create a small thumbnail for every file.
46. Back to brush, [ and ] will increase/decrease your brush size, Shift + [ or ] will soften or harden your brush edge.
47. To eliminate information outside or beyond the visible image area (possibly decreasing file size), choose Select All > Image > Crop.
48. Ctrl+click a mask layer (in layers palette) to select it’s transparency.
49. while on Selection Tools (Marquee, Lasso, Quick Selection & Magic Wand)• Holding the Shift key and dragging with the tool will add to an existing selection.• Holding the Alt and dragging with the tool will subtract from the original selection.• Holding the Alt + Shift and dragging with the tool will produce the intersection of selections (This does not apply to the quick selection tool).
50. You can fade the opacity and change the blend mode of the painting tools by immediately selecting Edit > Fade (xxx) tool after painting with them. This shortcut also works for a variety of menu commands including adjustments, strokes, fills and filters.
51. The forward slash key (/) toggles on and off the shields while using the Crop tool.
1. Hold Alt to switch Burn tool to Dodge tool, and vice versa.